I think I am going to walk a 5k race on June 1st. I am so out of shape though and I have problems with my hips hurting if I walk for long periods of time. So I think I'm going to take a little trip to the park and see how I feel after walking the trail there. I think it's just under two miles. And I think I'll take Sparky with me - he likes to walk and could really use the exercise!
I'll report back later with how we did..........
**Back from the walk**
Well, I made it all the way around the park. The sign at the beginning of the trail said it was 1.75 miles. Can't believe I did the whole thing! I did take Sparky with me. He is such a nut! The parking lot is right by one of the children's area's and what do you think he does?? He walks right over and unloads just feet from the swingset! Thank goodness I always have doggy doo-doo bags. So if you've ever had to clean up dog crap from a 140lb Lab, you know that it's almost impossible to do with one hand (I know - TMI!!) So anyway, I've got the handle part of the lead tucked under my arm and he managed to get away from me. He went running for this group of ladies sitting in the shade - I guess watching their kids playing. Fortunately one of the women turns out to be my friend Linda - she grabbed him and hung on to him while I finished cleaning up. How lucky is that? So we hadn't even started walking yet and I'm ready to take him home. But I thought "I drove over here, I'm going to walk this freaking park even if I have to put this nutcase of a dog back in the car!" It was then that I realized I forgot to put his prong collar on - boy, was this going to be fun (NOT!) Remarkably, once we got past the play area and the tennis courts we kinda got into a rhythm and other than the few times he kept running into me, it went rather well. He can't walk a straight line - just like the kids. I had to keep nudging him to keep him from veering to the left - LOL I think we'll do this again - and by "we" I do mean Sparky =)
3 comments:
Sounds like a fun little adventure - way to go making it all the way around! Make it a weekly outing and you'll be all set for your walk in June.
BTW, love the new blog format!
Great job on the walking! Build up bit by bit and you'll be amazed at how far you can walk after a while.
GOod for you on the walking!! and the triva game!
Post a Comment