Thursday, March 08, 2007

The transformation begins.....

The work on our basement has officially begun! I thought it might be interesting to follow along here in my blog. Before the guys started any work, I took a few "before" shots.

This first picture is what it currently looks like as you open the door to go down the stairs into the basement.

As you can already see - the area has some really hideous paint colors. And isn't that floor a flashback to some 1950's malt shop!? EEK!



This is the view from the bottom of the stairs, looking to the left. You can actually walk all the way around the stairs. The bathroom door (not pictured) is to my immediate left. The doorway (in the picture) with the blue walls is the entrance to my laundry room. We are not doing anything to that room. But I will tell you that it has lovely pink walls and the B/W checkered floor!

That little blond head you see in some of the pictures is my 2 yr old nephew.



Here we are (again standing at the foot of the stairs) looking to the right. The electrical boxes are in that closet on the right.

This area is where we plan on putting some sort of poker or game table.



Now I'm standing clear over on the other side of the basement - behind the staircase. That's my brother getting ready to rip out the carpet. In the corner where he is, there will be a custom bar. It will sit in the corner looking out towards the area where I'm standing.



Here I am standing in the same corner my brother was in the previous picture. That area in the back where the old couches are will be where the pool table will sit. There will be a counter along the back wall for folks to set their drinks while shooting some pool.


So as you can see, something needed to be done. It isn't usable to us as it currently is. We did have a small tv down there but other than that - it just wasn't a good place to have people over to hang out. KWIM?

4 comments:

daiva e said...

Oh my!! Those colors really are soomthing else, lol! I can see why your guys don't think it makes a good man cave, hee, hee. Can't wait to see what you do with it!!

Jen Hoover said...

really?

what's wrong with it?

Anonymous said...

Hey I remember that place! LOL!
I guess I never really noticed how obnoxious the colors are!
Can't wait to see the "after" photos!

{S} said...

WOW!! it's a treasure! you have to have a sock hop before you demo it!! LOL!! It looks like an awesome space regardless of the colors. Looking forward to seeing the transformation.