Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Summer Camp

On Sunday I drove Bryan down to Potosi, Missouri for boy scout camp. Here's a couple of pictures. In the first one, he is the one looking over his left shoulder (with a red and white baseball cap) and in the second one, he's putting up a tent.

Thursday evening is family night so David and I will be driving back down for that. That is also the night they "call out" the boys that have been elected into OA (Order of the Arrow). The OA is an honor society and you have to be elected by your fellow scouts.

The purpose of the call out is to publicly recognize the scouts that have been elected. I'm hoping to be able to get a few decent pictures of the call out. I'm so proud of him at achieving this - it truly is an honor for him.

He will then be able to start his "ordeal" in August, I believe. The ordeal induction consists of a weekend at Camp Sunnen - the boys maintain complete silence, receive small amounts of food, work on camp improvement projects, and are required to sleep alone (apart from other campers). I hope he is able to complete that part - then it's another 10 months of fulfilling requirements of the ordeal induction, he can then take part in the Brotherhood ceremony. Completion of this signifies full membership in the OA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammy, that is great I bet he is really excited about all of that. Good Luck to him.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis!
WOW!! That OA sounds INTENSE! Good for Bryan! I'm sure he can do it! :)
He looks so good! Looks like he's gotten even taller than when I saw him last summer! :) Tell him I say GOOD LUCK!! :)

Cindy said...

Congrats to Bryan!! Sounds like he has a lot of work ahead of him.