Sunday, January 27, 2008

More Weekend Home Improvements

David is on some kind of home improvement kick lately. This weekend we put new lights in my scraproom and put up a new garage door opener.

The old light fixtures in my scraproom were terrible. On Thursday, another light bulb burned out and when Bryan tried to take it out, the socket just spun around. So for a couple of days I didn't have light on one side of the room - great. I now have 2 new fluorescent fixtures and they are really bright compared to the old ones. (I still have yet to pass judgement on how they will be for my scrapbooking) They were rather easy to put up - only one managed to fall from the ceiling leaving a small gaping hole in the drywall. David was able to get a brace in there and the fixture itself covers up the damaged area. LOL =)

Then we moved out to the garage and replaced one of the failing garage door openers. We have known for a few months that it was on it's last leg. If you remember, I had to have the garage doors replaced this past summer after I had tried driving the car through them in an effort to back out of the garage. After doing this a couple of times, the door was too far damaged and needed to be replaced. At that time, the garage door lady said I had done some damage to the motor as well and it probably wouldn't last much longer. We thought we would just use it until it completely gave out but with the cold weather, it didn't have the power to close the door. Fortunately, replacing the opener didn't result in any damage to the walls or ceiling =)

On Friday morning, David noticed that our dog Max has a huge lump on his side. I checked it out and the thing is about the size of a Nerf football. It's humungous! I immediately called the vet and took him in. He has a tumor but the vet wasn't sure what kind. The different types of tumors came to her mind - of which I can't spell or pronounce any of them. They all are fast growing tumors, can be benign or malignant. She tried to draw some of the cells out with a syringe but it wasn't really cooperating. Of the cells she did get and was able to look at under a microscope, the cells were red/white blood cells, platelets, fat cells - nothing abnormal. So we have the option of having surgery to remove the tumor - only then will we know for sure what kind or type of tumor it is/was. Or we can wait and see what happens. David thinks that it is getting a bit bigger. I took a picture of it on Saturday so maybe we could have some sort of reference to size. So that gives me something else to worry about.

Other than that, there hasn't been a whole lot going on. I haven't had a chance to work on any more ATCs for the swap but I have until the 22nd of February to get them mailed. I also need to get to the store and buy a gift for a baby shower. I won't be able to attend - it's the same night as Brandon's birthday.

2 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Sounds like y'all have been getting lots of stuff done!

Hope your doggy gets better... :-(

Laurie said...

you guys have been busy!! I'm glad the home improvements are going well!!

I'll be praying for Max!

Happy Birthday to Brandon, I'll sure miss you this weekend!