Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I've been trying to decide if I should post this here - I'm not sure people would find it worthy of reading. I can't even think of an appropriate title? But it's been on my mind alot - almost constant - so maybe if I put it down in writing, it will ease my mind =)

A few weeks ago, I mentioned my dad's dog was really having some health issues. Last Tuesday, I was leaving the chiropractor's office when Bryan called and said that my dad needed me to call him ASAP. He needed me to go with him to the vet to have Lady put to rest. He had taken her in for another examination and the vet told him that it was time to let her go. She wasn't getting better and was down to 4 lbs. I'm glad she did, cuz it was something we couldn't do.

We arrived at the pet hospital and the assistant talked to us a bit about the procedure and how the remains would be handled. My dad was sending her to be cremated. My dad did not think he could handle being in the room when "it" happened so I told him I would go with her so she wouldn't be alone.

I thought it would be easy enough, but it wasn't. They gave her something to make her really relaxed and I held her little head in my hands until it was over. Then I broke down. I wanted to pick her up and run out of there but it was too late. They brought my dad in and he just fell apart. I felt so terrible.

I think the reason it is weighing so heavily on my mind is this could be happening with my own dog. Maybe, maybe not - we will know soon.

As in an earlier post (about a month ago?), I mentioned that Max has a large Nerf football sized tumor on his side. We had decided to take a wait and see approach. About 2 weeks later, the tumer was noticeably larger and we found another one in his armpit on the same side. This one is about the size of a golf ball. So we have decided to have the surgery to have them removed. That is the only way we will know for sure what type of tumors they are.

David took Max to the vet last Friday for the pre-op blood work and the vet found a third tumor, this time on his left side. It's not quite the size of a large grape yet. The blood work is normal with only one enzyme that is a bit elevated - indicating some arthritis which we were already aware of. And he has lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks. He weighs 128 lbs right now so 4 lbs doesn't seem like all that much but I wonder if it has anything to do with the tumors?

So after going through the thing with Lady, I've been wondering if I'll be able to handle it if we have to make "that" decision about Max?

9 comments:

daiva e said...

(((Hugs))) It's never an easy thing to face. We love our pets as much as many of the people in our lives. I had to make that decision with Tasha last spring. I think that making the decision was actually harder for me than taking her in, although that wasn't a walk in the park either. If you end up having to go, I'll go with you, if you want. (((Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Oh, sis!
I guess, all I can say is ~ wait and see how Max does with the surgery. I love him too and would just HATE to see him gone! I do understand though ~ not wanting your sweet pet to suffer. We had to put down a kitty that was John's when I met him, he ended up being our "baby" until we had Rachel. :) He was such a mean old thing ~ but gosh, we loved him! It's never easy to go through this! Please keep us updated and know that you and Max are in my thoughts!

Love ya!
Laura

{S} said...

Tammy, I'm so sorry. I hope Max has good news and will be back home with you soon. I know how much hurt and worry this brings on. I just took Domino to the hospital last night. He had sort of a seizure. I'm still waiting to hear from the hospital and it's agonizing. Every time the phone rings my heart jumps.
My pets that have passed on have been on my mind a lot lately. Maybe I was subconsciously preparing myself for Domino's departure but he was fine, until last night.. I don't know, It's probably because I did that LO of Sadie and thought I should create pages of my other loves too...((((hugs))) I'll be praying that things turn out good for Max and that he heals quickly from surgery.

Laurie said...

((hugs)) my heart is breaking for you. This is one of the main reasons I don't see myself having more pets, it's so hard to let them go. I'll be praying for Max. When is his surgery? You'll be in my thoughts and prayers too. ((hugs))

:::b r a n d i::: said...

All you can do is wait and see. It's not easy but it's not definite that removing the tumors won't work either, so try not to focus on the bad that could happen.

Ann Marie said...

:-( I'm so sorry, I hope that it all works out for Max! I can't imagine, I know it would be so difficult...

I think, too, that our pets count on us to take care of them, and that includes making decisions to ease their suffering--I know some of my Dad's dogs would have held onto the bitter end out of loyalty, or devotion--it is like humans--we have a hard time letting go if we think/feel we still have obligations here...

Brenda is SO Blessed said...

oh my darlin--please know that i am thinking about you all. i know what a hard decision this is. Please let us know about your darling Max. love, Brenda

Debbie said...

Hi Tammy, did you know that tumors are something that is in the Labs ? Tori's dog, Webber has had several, but not that big. I just hope they are fatty tumors and that Max will be fine. I love that crazy dog. He is always so happy to see me when I come over. If the worst happens and you need me, let me know. I had to have Baby put to sleep about 17 months ago and believe me, I know it is very hard for us to do. But we have to think about the quality of life for our pets because you know they give their all to us and depend on us to make the right decision for them. You know, I love you so let me know how everything goes. Your sister, D.

Sherri said...

Man, I've been there and it's so hard. Dogs are part of the family for us. They bring us joy and happiness.