Saturday, January 09, 2010

A Sad Day in Troy

I had heard the news earlier this week and felt saddened....a young man from my town was killed in Afghanistan. I think it bothered me more this time hearing that a soldier had died knowing that my own son is in the process of joining the Air Force.

Senior Airman Brad Smith, 24, died earlier this week after a roadside bomb detonated near him. He leaves behind a wife and a new baby daughter, born this past October.

His body arrived home today. There were signs and flags lining the road into and out of Troy. I was on my way to the grocery store thinking that his arrival was Monday but apparently that is the day of his funeral. I pulled into the parking lot and contemplated getting out and waiting for the procession to pass by - after all it is only 12 degrees outside. I left the grocery store parking lot and found a better location across the street, closer to the road. As the procession neared, they blocked off the road and I got out of the car. Another person there was nice enough to give me a flag and I walked to the edge of the road. It was very quiet except for the sound of the vehicles. I cried - knowing that this young man lost his life fighting for our freedom.

Thank you Senior Airman Brad Smith for your service to our country. May you forever rest in peace.

3 comments:

:::b r a n d i::: said...

Wow. How very sad indeed. I cried just reading your post about it. Prayers for his family.

Laurie said...

very sad. We've had a few from our area, it sure doesn't get easier to read about.

Sherri said...

very sad indeed.