Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Another sort of busy day...

My dad called me this morning and asked me to go to the cemetery to lay the grave blanket on my mom's grave. It's so sad to go there.....but I went since it's been a while. It was nice to see lots of Christmas style flowers on all the sites. The blanket he picked is so pretty - it has a couple of large poinsettia's, some little faux gift boxes, a large red bow, and my favorite, an angel. My dad is going to add a little santa figure later - when he finds one he likes. He puts a santa on there every year - it's quite touching.

I came home and put Drew down for a nap and ended up falling asleep with him. So I took a 2 hour nap - such wasted time.

Just before starting dinner, I made some peanut brittle. Now, this is the first time I've attempted to make this stuff but I've got this recipe to make it in the microwave, thus eliminating the need for a double boiler and a candy thermometer. I burned the first batch =( But the second batch turned out perfect! Brandon thought it wasn't dark enough which made me paranoid that it wouldn't set and be a sticky mess. But, lo and behold, it hardened in just about an hour or so. I broke it into bite sized pieces and it tastes so good =) If your interested, drop me a comment and I'll post it here.

I also made a 2 ingredient fudge. This is something else that is a new one for me. When I saw the recipe I had to try it cuz it's just so darn easy. All you need is a bag of chocolate chips and a container of frosting. Melt the chips in the microwave until melted and smooth. Then nuke the frosting for about 30 seconds and stir it into the melted chips. It's still in the fridge so I haven't had a chance to taste it. The information I got did say that it is a soft fudge so I'm hoping I can turn it out of the dish and still be able to cut it into pieces.

My sister Trina and I have been devising all sorts of combinations. Vanilla frosting and peanut butter chips, vanilla frosting and butterscotch chips, vanilla frosting with white chocolate chips and bits of peppermint candy mixed in - which then lead to adding a bit of red food coloring and making the fudge marbled. The ideas could just go on and on. So I'm hoping this turns out well so we can experiment some more.

3 comments:

Ink Stained Roni said...

oh tammy, i love peanut brittle, I would love the rec. if you have a chance to post it :)

daiva e said...

I've got a recipe for microwave peanut brittle, too. It's really yummy! The first time I made it, though, I used raw peanuts - big mistake. The peanuts were still chewy, lol! Live and learn.

TammyB said...

Daiva-this recipe calls for raw peanuts and although they are softer vs. crunchy, they weren't chewy by any means. Brandon has eaten almost half the container already!