Thursday, November 29, 2007

Super Easy Microwave Peanut Brittle

Well, I did get a request for the peanut brittle that I mentioned in the previous post. So this is for you Roni =)

• 1 cup of raw, shelled Virginia peanuts (leave the skins on)
• 1 cup of granulated sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup light Karo corn syrup
• 1 teaspoon of butter
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla
• 1 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions:
• Mix the peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt together in a microwave-safe mixing bowl until well mixed.
(I used an 8-cup Pyrex mixing bowl with a handle. Makes it easier to handle when it's hot.)
• Cook in a microwave on high for 4 minutes.
• Open and stir the mix well.
• Cook on high for another 4 minutes.
• Open, stir in the butter and vanilla.
• Microwave on high for another 1.5 to 2 minutes.
(Watch it at this point - you want it golden brown, not dark brown. Be careful not to burn it.)
• Finally, remove from the microwave, open the dish, add the baking soda and stir quickly until the mix is light and foamy.
• Immediately pour the mixture onto a lightly-greased baking sheet, spreading it out thinly.
• Allow the mix to cool - then break it into small pieces and store in an airtight container.

Tip: The trick to making thin, crisp peanut brittle is to keep the baking sheet(s) you use warm. I recommend heating them in a
conventional oven at around 200°F (about 95 °C) before you spread the peanut brittle mix. This should allow you to spread the mix 1cm to 2cm thick without it setting up. Line trays with Reynolds Release foil smeared w/butter. (Use heat resistant spatulas to spread the brittle – it's HOT.)

1 comment:

Ink Stained Roni said...

OMG, that sounds so easy!!!!!!!! I think I can do that ;) Thanks for sharing Tammy, I'm definately going to be buying the syrup (only thing I don't have) and making some this week...may be added to my gift giving ideas :)

Thanks chickie!!