I spent some time with my dad on Friday. First a trip to Sam's Club and home, then back later for dinner out. He mentioned that the cover of my mom's bible had fallen off, something I noticed the last few times I had seen it. I offered to try and fix it with some bookbinding tape. He agreed and then handed me this little pile of newspaper clippings and other odds and ends. It was all the little things my mom has stored in her bible. He thought they might have been the cause of the cover coming off. In reality, the book is just old. The copyright is 1955. I told him it was probably just the age of the book and nothing else. So I was looking through the clippings...they were mostly obituaries....I found one for my grandfather, aunt, uncle, cousins and some other people unknown to me. I also found a picture of my grandfather's plumbing store, a Mother's Day card I had made for my mom many, many years ago, and a little crocheted cross bookmark. What a treasure (at least to me!)


3 comments:
Definitely treasures! This is such a sweet story. :~) The store front picture is really cool.
That is so cool.
My Mom has this hilarious Valentine from when I was really little--2 asymmetrical hearts taped together, drawn in orange crayon, really funny, and she has kept it in her Bible for all these years.
Her cover fell off, as well, so I offered to have it professionally rebound for her... she refused, saying she loved it as it was.
So you know what? A couple of months ago, one of her good friends decided she needed a new Bible to "replace her worn out one," and bought it with its own little decorative cover/carrier--including a big diamond of cow hide. Yes, cow hide. Well, faux cow hide, with synthetic hair. It is *ugly* of course Mom loves the gesture and thus feels the need to use it. But even Mom admits now she should have let me get it rebound. lol
Wow, those are fabulous treasures.
Post a Comment