Saturday, August 30, 2008

Kitchen Project - Week 1

Here's a little update on the kitchen project..............

This first picture was taken on the 26th, after some of the appliances and cabinets had been removed.

This next picture was taken today, the 30th.....almost everything is gone!!


It's been a rough week. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm going to have a beautiful new kitchen when this is all done. I'm sure it's much more fun watching the new things coming into the kitchen. We've also run into some minor problems during the demolition. And, of course, David wasn't home to help me deal with them.

First off, on Wednesday, there was a leak coming from one of the water pipes in the basement. It flooded the furnace room causing the carpet and walls to get wet. Turned out that when they disconnected the water supply to the ice maker in the old fridge, they didn't clamp off the supply in the basement. I'm so lucky to have a brother that can figure stuff out like this quickly. He clamped it off and that was problem solved.

The original tile on the floor was improperly installed. The goofballs used liquid nails on some (the majority) of the tiles which made it really hard to get the tiles to pop off the underlayment. So they used a sledge hammer to break the tiles apart. All the vibration from the pounding caused all the glasses to fall off the bar and some of the paint to come off the ceiling wherever there was a nail. Two of the light fixtures almost fell out of the ceiling and one lightbulb fell out and broke.

So I've been going through a whole slew of emotions and I've had a terrible backache for days. But it's got to get better! Only one more day of demolition - thank goodness. I don't think I could stand anymore hammering. The electrician will be here on Wednesday and I know he will be much quiter :)

6 comments:

Laurie said...

hang in there!! just keep reminding yourself how beautiful it's going to look!! what an awesome brother!!

Sherri said...

hang in there. it will be so great when you are done although I know it's hard without a kitchen!

Anonymous said...

WOW! It's so strange to see your kitchen non-existent! It's gonna be FABULOUS, sis!! Hang in there!
THANKS for keeping us updated!

Laura

Ann Marie said...

beautiful-new-kitchen; beautiful-new-kitchen; beautiful-new-kitchen; and breathe...

That would freak me straight out! But yes, it will be worth it in the end!!! Right?

daiva e said...

I'm glad that they're done with the demolition. Sorry about all the glass in the basement. :-( I bet the electrician is a vast improvement.

:::b r a n d i::: said...

It's going to be so worth it....however I totally understand the stress of the mess. I have a hard time dealing with stuff like this and it bothers me to have life in disarray, but in the end you're going to have an awesome new kitchen!