Although my dad's surgery was a success, his recovery hasn't been so great. He is staying in the observation unit for thoracic surgery patients. He needs to have someone with him day and night because he is a bit disoriented at times. Friday night was the worst - he tried to get out of bed and was fighting the nurses. Then when the x-ray tech came in, he scratched them. He was of the mindset that the dr's and nurses there were trying to hurt him. He knew where he was, the name of the hospital, our names, etc. but he thought it wasn't the "real" hospital but a fake one. He just told me to trust him - that the dr's weren't who they were supposed to be. He also asked me, my sister Trina and my SIL Barb to stay with him - not to leave him. He wants to come home so badly. So 4 of us spent the night with him, taking shifts to stay with him in his room and take little catnaps. He only tried to get out of bed a few times, but we just reminded him where he was and that he needed to lay back down. Then my sister Debbie and I spent last night with him again. He wasn't as agitated last night and didn't try to get out of bed at all.
It looks like he will not be coming home on Monday as we were hoping. He was supposed to be out of the observation unit Saturday but with the disorientation and stuff, he's been kept there. His appetite is almost back to normal and he is taking in plenty of fluids. They removed the clicker thing for the pain meds and he is taking them in pill form by mouth. His catheter was removed last night as well. So he only has the oxygen, an IV and the chest drain still attached.
It's been hard trying to get someone that can be at the hospital at all times. I've been there for more than 8 hours each day, not counting the 2 nights I've stayed with him. My sister Trina is right along side me, with a few more hours than I. When I came home this morning, I tried sleeping but the flooring guy was here using a nail gun so I didn't get much rest. I finally had to make the decision that I just couldn't go back to the hospital tonight. I'm so tired that my body is aching.
Each day we are hoping he will be moved out of the observation unit, into another more private room. The alarms and noises from the other patients is disturbing, especially for my dad. But until they feel he is past the paranoia, he'll be staying where he is at. I forgot to mention that he has also developed a bit of pneumonia and is now on an antibiotic for that.
Keep the prayers coming - I know they work, just sometimes not as quickly as we hope for.
2 comments:
((((hugs)))) poor guy. My prayers continue.
OH sis!!
I'm so sorry!!
I have seen patients that have had these sypmtoms after surgery. Just be patient... my bet is he'll recover.
In the mean time, PLEASE take good care of yourself!!
Laura
Post a Comment