Monday, September 08, 2008

News about My Dad

As some of you may know, recently my dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer (adenocarcinoma). The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of doctor visits and phone calls to family.

My dad seemed to be on the fence about having surgery to remove the upper lobe of his left lung. But after visits with both the thoracic surgeon and the oncologist, I'm happy to report that he has decided to have surgery. I almost broke down in tears at the doctor's office last Thursday when he told my dad he'd be crazy not to do surgery. 

This week, my dad will be having some pulmonary tests done on Tuesday followed by pre-surgery tests on Thursday. My dad is scheduled to have a biopsy on the lymph nodes in the mediastinum on the 18th. The mediastinum is the area in the central part of the chest in between the two lungs. If they are free of cancer, he will be immediately taken into the OR and the doctors will remove the upper lobe of his left lung. If there are cancer cells present, they won't continue on with surgery. 

Right now we all have our fingers and toes crossed that the lymph nodes are clear. I can't remember the last time I prayed so hard and so often. It's in HIS hands.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for your Dad that there's nothing in the lymph nodes!
TAKE CARE of yourself too sis! This is a stressful time for you!

((((((((HUGS))))))))

Laura

{S} said...

I'm lifting him in prayer. ((((((hugs))))) Please be sure to take care of yourself too. It's easy to get lost in all that you are doing and dealing with.
I'm here if you need anything.

Brenda is SO Blessed said...

prayers being said for your dad and all of the family. and especially peace for you all

daiva e said...

Hugs and prayers, girlfriend. I'm glad that he's decided to do the surgery and I'll be praying that the lymph nodes are clean.

jb said...

I don't know you but a little prayer here for your dad. Went to all my dad'd treatment for prostate cancer, so I know what you are going through. Make sure you take a breather for yourself or you will be no good for anyone. Best wishes to you and family. judy

Sherri said...

prayers being said for you all

Laurie said...

good thoughts and prayers are with your family!! ((hugs)) I'm so glad he's doing the treatment! I just can't imagine what a relief that is for you

Ink Stained Roni said...

Sending good thoughts for you all sweetie! Hope it all goes well!

Fuzzy White Dogs said...

I'm joining you in praying for good clean lymph nodes!
(((hugs)))